March 28, 2024, 11:55:42 am

News:

Unlogical names will be denied acces. Check your mail/spambox!

DSR tank in Florida

Started by Dogtown, August 22, 2017, 02:16:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogtown

August 22, 2017, 02:16:43 am Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:54:40 am by Dogtown
Hi everyone, my name is Christopher and I live in Tampa, Florida. I've lived in Europe and skied the Swiss, Italian and Austrian aps many times. Those travels gave me an appreciation of Europe and this is one of the reasons why DSR caught my interest. The other is that Glenn knows the "Why" of all things reefing like no one else.

My journey began two months ago and includes the following equipement:

127x71x46cm Reef Savvy, low iron glass
ATI 8x54w lighting
Royal exclusive Skimmer & Dreambox
GHL Profilux 4 Controller, GHL 2.1 Doser
120x30x30cm glass Refugium w/25L Siporax
Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone Generator
NET water volume is ~ 735L

Tank is cycled and I just received my first DSR supplies from Seaflower today:

Dogtown

August 22, 2017, 02:30:27 am #1 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:53:32 am by Dogtown
When I started this system, the plan was initially to run it  as a fish only system for the first year. Since it was fish only, I decided to dose chloroquine phosphate (CP) into the DT. After the first month with fish only, I changed my mind and decided to transition the tank over to support a reef sooner than later.

To make this happen, I stopped dosing CP. I also did several water changes and now the tank is beginning to grow algae, which is a good sign. The CP is not completely gone yet however and I can tell because I still can't keep invertebrates in the tank for more than a few days.

First order of business is to get every last remaining bit of CP out of the system so that inverts and corals can survive. I've read that by removing all of the phosphate from a system, that will effectively remove all of the CP along with it. So the first goal is to bring PO4 down to zero and keep it there until I can start keeping invertebrates without problem. Then I will bring PO4 back up to normal levels so that I can really start this reef.

Here is a picture of the tank as first set up 2 months ago:

Dogtown

August 22, 2017, 03:27:49 am #2 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:59:29 am by Dogtown
Nitrates are typically 0 in this system so the first mineral I am starting with is 2xNO3. This will help me to understand how to determine a proper dosage using the calculator. Next I will figure out the dosages for Fe+, CarbonVS, and everything else.

With a volume of 735L and Measured NO3 value=0, the correction shows 13.23. My question is, what does 13.23 represent? Does that refer to a dosage of 13.23ml/day or something else altogether different?

Thanks in advance!

glennf

Welcome to the family
This is a reference forum and a great way to save or look up subjects.

Most active are the DSR fb groups

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DutchSyntheticReefing/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DSRProductSupport/

Dogtown

glennf

Quote from: Dogtown on August 22, 2017, 03:27:49 am
Nitrates are typically 0 in this system so the first mineral I am starting with is 2xNO3. This will help me to understand how to determine a proper dosage using the calculator. Next I will figure out the dosages for Fe+, CarbonVS, and everything else.

With a volume of 735L and Measured NO3 value=0, the correction shows 13.23. My question is, what does 13.23 represent? Does that refer to a dosage of 13.23ml/day or something else altogether different?

Thanks in advance!
That is a single correction 13,23ml