March 29, 2024, 09:31:48 am

News:

Unlogical names will be denied acces. Check your mail/spambox!

Co2 Tower

Started by islandreef, April 01, 2015, 02:15:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

islandreef

Hi Glenn,
I just watched your video of your C02 Tower, could you give me a little bit more information about it? I'm guessing the obvious-
it reduces c02 in the tank
raises the tank PH
It's the simple things that work best, e.g your power filter I have had great success with!
Many thanks Glenn
Ben

glennf

April 02, 2015, 05:53:35 am #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:17:58 am by glennf
I guess you mean this one..
https://youtu.be/3_K5NSaamIk

It's in fact a skimmer like construction, powered by a pump and a airstone without a collection cup. By regulating the airflow you can regulate the CO2 exchange without really skimming.
This CO2 exhange column is made out of 6 pieces of 3mm glass and can be applied in systems where no skimmer is being applied to save plankton.

Normaly the skimmer takes care of the CO2 exchange, when omitted you can expect the PH in a reeftank to drop 0,3 -0,5 point. Normaly that would not be a problem, but in the worst case scenario it could drop below 7,6 PH. This is not desireable in a reeftank, so to prevent this from happening this CO2 exchange column would be the/my answere.

The function of the column is exchanging CO2, without having all (micro) bubble throughout the tank and popping on the tank surface. This look unnatural and makes  a mess of dried salt on the tank edged and lighting fixtures. By containing the bubbles in the colomn, you prevent this from entering the display.

The upper lid the 6th (small) piece of glass, is being used to prevent the popping bubbles from creating a locall mess of dried salt surrounding the column. The lid is suspended on a few (9) dots of silicone kit. The bottom is  fully suspended on silicone kit, to prevent it from scratching/damaging the tank.

greetings, GlennF

islandreef

Thanks Glenn :) Happy Easter!